The Committee on the Status of Women (CSW) of the Society for Music Theory (SMT) promotes gender equity and feminist scholarship in areas related to music theory and serves as a repository of information about women and music. The CSW serves the Society for Music Theory in matters that are critical to all music theorists.
- Operates three mentoring programs
- Proposal Mentoring
- Virtual Research Groups
- Professional Mentoring
- Monitors and advocates for compliance with practices that promote gender equity, both within the Society and in the field of music theory in general.
- Sponsors a special session at the SMT Annual Meeting.
- Holds a no-host luncheon at the SMT Annual Meeting to discuss matters that relate to the mission of the CSW; all interested members of the SMT are invited to come to this.
- Maintains a CSW Affiliates Facebook group web page to help members stay current on CSW activities and to get involved in related discussions and events; all interested members of the SMT are invited to join this Facebook group.
- Maintains resources that relate to the mission of the CSW.
- Jan Miyake (through 2022), chair
- Anjni Amin (2022)
- Samantha Inman (2022)
- Eric Isaacson (2023)
- Victoria Malawey (2021)
- Severine Neff (2023)
- Cora Palfy (2021)