The Committee on the Status of Women (CSW) of the Society for Music Theory promotes gender equity and feminist scholarship in areas related to music theory and serves as a repository of information about women and music. The CSW serves the Society for Music Theory in matters that are critical to all music theorists.
- Chair: Judy Lochhead: 2018-2020
- Recent Past Chair: Jennifer Bain (Dalhouise University): 2015-2017
- Sara Bakker (Utah State University): 2016-2018
- Sigrun Heinzelmann (Universität Mozarteum Salzburg): 2016-2018
- Anna Fulton (PhD Student, Eastman School of Music): Student Member, 2017-2019
- Carmel Raz (Columbia University): 2017-2019
- Laura Emmery (Emory University): 2018-2020
- Anton Vishio (William Paterson University): 2018-2020
- Monitors and advocates for compliance with practices that promote gender equity, both within the Society and in the field of music theory in general.
- Sponsors a special session at the Annual Meeting.
- Holds a no-host luncheon at the Annual Meeting to discuss matters that relate to the mission of the CSW; all interested members of the SMT are invited to come to this.
- Maintains a CSW Affiliates Facebook group web page to help members stay current on CSW activities and to get involved in related discussions and events; all interested members of the SMT are invited to join this Facebook group.
- Maintains resources that relate to the mission of the CSW (see below).